Monday, March 21, 2011

Chicken and Corn Chili

Yesterday at church, I was sharing my new favorite Crock-Pot recipe with a few friends, and I thought I'd jot it down here for anyone else that may like it.  It's a hot soup-y type meal, so that may sound strange to be sharing it now on the second day of spring, but I don't care.  It's that good.  And if you don't like to eat comfort foods in March, then just revisit this blog post late October!

I originally came across the recipe here, but I adapted it to what I had in my kitchen at 7:00 the next morning and haven't looked back since!  So here's my version:

2 to 3 (or 4) frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 16 oz jar salsa (I use On The Border mild)
1 15 oz can of pinto beans (probably any other type of beans would work too)
1 15 oz can of Mexican style corn
1 14.5 oz (I think?) can of diced tomatoes
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Sprinkle sugar (to cut the acidity of the tomatoes)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Few generous shakes of dry ranch dressing mix*

Mix all together in Crock-Pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.  Give it a healthy stir before serving, shredding chicken with a fork if necessary.

Seriously, that's it!  I've eaten it like a traditional soup/chili in a bowl with cheese and tortilla chips, and I've also used a slotted spoon to scoop onto a tortilla and eat like a soft taco.  Both ways are delicious.  Let me know if you try it!

Photobucket

*A note about the Ranch Dressing Mix: I buy it in this canister because I use it in several recipes and make dressing with it, and this is way more cost effective than buying the individual packets.  I think the canister is $5 or $6 bucks, but it is equivalent to like 20 of those packets which usually cost at least $1.25/each!

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Hey Lori!!!
We are adopting domestically. An infant adoption through the edna gladney agency, in ft worth. We are super excited but the journey can be emotional, that's for sure. How are you guys? Your family is beautiful!

Haley said...

That sounds so good! I'm going to make that this week b/c it's still cool here. And girl you know I love a good crock-pot recipe! :)