Monday, September 14, 2009

Consignment? Yes, please!

It's no surprise to anyone that knows me even a little bit that I love to shop. Especially for my children. And especially when the items are gently used and deeply discounted. The highlight of my Spring & Fall seasons are the consignment sales I now consider part of my lifeline. Seriously, it's a bit of an addiction.

Anyway, since I don't plan on giving Carter & Olivia any more siblings, I decided that the best way to support my addiction provide additional income for our family would be to consign some of the many (read: TONS) of children's clothes that have been occupying drawers, closet space and garage shelves for the past three years and counting. I knew this would be a large mountain to climb, but I was finally up for the challenge. And finally ready to have some storage space in my garage and cash in my pocket.

So, since I wasn't motivated in enough time to consign at my first and most favorite consignment sale, I decided to sell my items at my second favorite, local consignment sale.

My weekend was spent in the floor of my living room and at my kitchen table under many, many mounds of clothing, toys and other various sundries. Luckily, I have a mom that loves me dearly and was either (a.) glutton for punishment or (b.) sad to see me have to endure this alone, so I had help most of the time. But it wasn't pretty. Here, I'll show you:

I know, I warned you.

There's Mom... at least she's still smiling.

Olivia helped too.

There are no words.


These were the clothes all hung up and ready to be tagged. Now they're loaded up in the back of my car with other items including socks, shoes, unused burp cloths, clean bibs, multiple activity yards, a travel swing and a partridge in a pear tree. After work, I will go drop these items off to be organized and sold at the sale later on this week.

Then I will wait.

And I will check my tags online once the sale begins. I will watch like a hawk to see that I bring home a profit. (Profit defined as: money left over AFTER deducting the price of the hangers, safety pins, card stock and printer ink that I had to buy to make this magic happen.)

I hope this proves worth it in the end because if I'm honest... I actually had quite a bit of fun this weekend. Spending time with my mom, printing tags & pinning clothes together and reminiscing on the good times and memories that accompanied so many of these baby items. So, wish me luck. And please, if you're in McKinney: go buy my stuff!

6 comments:

Andrea - Momfessionals said...

Fun! Maybe I shoudl just come and shop out of the back of your car right now. I'm lovin that Mom tattoo shirt - is it boys?
:) andrea

Gwlynda Irek said...

Holy Cow!!

Grace Family said...

Wowzas! If I was in McKinney, I would come shop, but Houston's a bit of a trip!

That will be me soon... as we know that Logan and Ryan will not be accompanied by anymore siblings. BUT, I plan to do it in shifts... as Ryan outgrows things they will be sent on their way. I probably won't go through all the work you did... Goodwill is the place for me! :-)

Way to go though... anything that supports your addiction and helps you sleep at night! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori!

It's Abby (Ware) Chou from OBU. I found your blog through the comments on Kelly's Korner. :)

What a fun and beautiful family you have! I can so relate with the 'excess' amounts of kids' clothing...I have a 3-year-old girl and a 9-month-old boy and my goodness, the clothes accumulate quickly! Good luck with the consignment!

God bless~
Abby

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

So....I'm dying to know......did you make any $$?

Anonymous said...

Lori TOLD me to smile...The Mom